Saturday, April 22, 2017

Some letters from 2004

9.8.2004

Stoneman,
I was thinking about what instruments we should play on various songs and some of them I'm not sure. We have options with bass and keyboards and stuff. Some songs I think we will just have to see how it works out best. It would be good to find an awesome drummer, we can hope. I think also we should try some recording, we can multitrack all the instruments we want then. I don't want to go overkill on the multitracking, sometimes doing too much makes it worse but I like the process of recording, we can do some experimenting and we can always cut tracks out if we don't like them.
Jimmy wanted to use his sampler this week and I don't think he will sell it to me. We should be able to get some good use out of it but we can't count on it all the time, so I'm thinking about other options. I've been wanting to get a Boss BR-8 8 track digital recorder, there are a lot of them on ebay usually they go for around $250. I could use the sampler to put together things and save them on something like that digital recorder which would be convenient for playback in live performances. I also want to get a keyboard, the casio I think is very useable but I'd like to find another with a more realistic piano sound. I still don't have any money to spend just now, my last check was lower than it was supposed to be and I'm in the process of trying get the boss rectify the situation.
So maybe next time we could lay down a few tracks. I am really excited to start recording, I think we can work together to make some good sounding stuff. And we can do drum samples and record electric guitars without making very much noise. I know we can't stay up all night recording, even though I may feel like it sometimes. We don't want Seth and Tina to get irate. I think with the Line 6 we can get some good guitar sounds, on previous things I've done I plugged the guitar straight in to the mixer and that just doesn't sound too great.
I'll be running along now, I just had that stuff on my mind and I wanted to get prepped up for next Tuesday. I'll assume we will get together unless you notify me otherwise.
Have a good week
Jon

9.9.2004

I have a few microphones and some stuff I will bring for recording. Also I will bring some audio on cd of some stuff that we could use for drum samples.
there is an awesome site that you can download a lot of drum samples from classic drum machines, it's useful for cutting and pasting to customise beats and even make completely original loops from. Check it out.
http://www.looperman.com/loops_cats_results.php?loop_cat_name=Drum%20Machine%20Kits

This site has some good drum loops too, I find that all the ones by Fuzz Townshend are really cool. I attached a few for you to listen to.

Here's another good site http://meanbeat.cjb.net/

You can spend hours checking all this stuff out but you probably shouldn't unless you have all your homework finished.
I'm looking forward to next Tuesday, see you then.
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment